It takes a village to heal a child.
- Global Wisdom
It has been said that there are no meaningful celebrations, anywhere, without children. The developing world is all about children and the challenge of building a sustainable future for them. This notion is most evident to those who know the names and faces of children and to those that care for them – local teachers, health-care workers, parents, emerging entrepreneurs.
Today there are estimated 11 million AIDS orphans worldwide. Just one child in distress can bring out amazing compassion and hope in a community. Children are our teachers in society; if we learn to listen we can also heal ourselves. That is good reason to hope for the future.
Our vision is to build on hope, toward a sustainable future.
oneVillage.biz will connect communities through storytelling. Storytelling is the most natural form of communication; the power of expression brings people together. The story-sharing environment, oneVoice™, will be supported by geospatial Internet and mobile technologies that have the potential to radically improve communication, collaboration, and information management by location.
The oneVillage.biz vision will further be carried out through the implementation of the oneVillage Initiative: a holistic framework of deploying Information and Communication Technologies (ICT) to support sustainable development for community prosperity. By bringing information affluence into each village, the global village will be enriched and strengthened by all-hands participation in the knowledge-based economy.
oneVillage.biz has systematically identified the building blocks to form a complete ‘eco-system’ around ICTs, to design innovative solutions that address world urgent issues, as well as add value to education services. These building blocks include:
- Local communities
- Global youth networks
- Women’s health and information networks
- The education sector
- Non-Government Organizations (NGOs)
- Established private enterprises
- MicroFinance Institutions (MFIs) and credit unions
- The Open Source movement
- And many more.
Along the way, we encourage formation of new institutions and values, such as:
- A new world NGO coalition, that extends from the 1 million NGOs in the world today to the information technology, funding, and other services they rely on.
- A new paradigm for private and social enterprise, based on valuing people and their communities, sharing opportunity, and designing for sustainability in terms of the economy, the environment, and social equity.
- A social enterprise platform on the Internet that supports humanity in solving the world’s urgent issues together – quickly.
- An educational system that makes full use of the social enterprise platform, and restores people’s appreciation of their cultural, linguistic, spiritual and technological heritages, and their relationship with the land they evolved in.
We see the social enterprise platform as including:
- An e-commerce environment that extends to the 2 million villages that most of the world’s people call home, and supports a global entrepreneurial network.
- An environment for managing and encouraging philanthropy in all forms, supporting the New World NGO Coalition mentioned above in doing their social enterprise work, including collaboration with the private sector.
- Collaboration tools serving the residents of the urban areas of the world, and the villages and regions they (or their ancestors) still (or used to) call home.
- A storytelling and sharing environment (oneVoice™) that unites the human family – with stories and artistic expression digitally represented in many media.
- Knowledgebases that support sustainable development, and place the total treasure trove of human understanding at humanity’s service – in all languages.
oneVillage.biz seeks an economic and social investment in the development and growth of emerging markets through information technology and human capacity building. Our initiative begins at the level of the village, in the township, at the school, in community facilities. It draws on a logical pattern of university involvement, government support, private-sector commitment, and partnership. It features collaboration with talented, successful, respected and accountable NGOs and private companies. It utilizes our experience in tangible, bottom-up capacity building, and our business and strategy skills. It is facilitated by ICTs. It relies upon the counsel of elders and the lessons of indigenous people. It depends upon community heroes imbued with talent, will, and hope.
The challenges facing emerging nations dealing with AIDS are also opportunities. Every generation defines itself by the way in which it works to solve the major problems that communities face. We are working with communities that are ready, and prime candidates for this kind of investment. We see a strategy for solving the world’s urgent issues profitably and humanely.
The era of technology serving the human community, and business practices based on trust and respect of each other's value, has begun. It is in giving that we receive – both unity, and the fulfillment of our desire to make a difference in Life.